Friday 31 July 2015

GREAT BRITISH BEER FESTIVAL EPISODE 2

Well its less than two weeks to go to the big day - The Great British Beer Festival at Kensington Olympia in London. My entry ticket has arrived in the post , saving me a massive £1. Now CAMRA make out you're saving £2 when buying on-line then sneak a £1 transaction fee on at the end of the process.(hmph)

This will be my 12th consecutive visit and every year the queues to get in are  longer and longer. I usually pay at the door so this is the first time I've paid up front, largely as a result of my experience last year.

I had travelled down alone to meet up with the guys inside the venue. I arrived early at 1145, opening time being at noon. I gave up looking for the end of the queue as it snaked westbound towards the M25 . Then I discovered it was for ticket holders only, so I had to find the queue where the great unwashed without tickets were queuing, to go in a seperate entrance. This didn't get opened till the ticket holder queue was gone. So for well over 15 minutes I stood there impatiently, bursting for a pee, and  conscious of the fact that beer, seats and tables would be disappearing fast.

Once in, glass and program in hand, I luckily managed to secure a table upstairs ready for when my drinking mates would appear later.

My thoughts now turn to food ; to be honest I'm always thinking about food. Now the eats in the festival, curries, pasties, hot dogs ,and other take away  fare,  are quite pricey. Last year I took a pack of four out of date mini pork pies ( 50p from Morrison's). Boy did I get the piss taken out of me , although I wasn't bothered,  as it meant more money for beer!
This year , after extensive market research, I  have invested in a single larger pork pie ( pictured ) , going slightly upmarket at 62p.

The next newsworthy item will be the announcement of the Champion Beer of Britain on August 11th.

Click here for Episode 3 :- GBBF Episode 3






No comments:

Post a Comment