Sunday 9 August 2015

A WINTER LAGER IN SUMMER

I recently bought a couple of bottles of Samuel Adams Winter Lager from a well known national discount store(being an anagram of M&B), for the princely sum of 79p each. They were selling them off before the September 2015 expiry date.

This lager is in fact a Bock. So what is a Bock ? Well this beer style originated in Bavaria in Germany and has a strong rich flavour. Under Bavarian law, a Bock style has to be at least 6.4%.


Having said that, Sam Adams is, as you know, an American brewer and this seasonal Winter  Lager is a mere 5.5. Dark amber , this drink really packs a punch. Half way down the glass you get the warm glow associated with a strong winter ale, only in August ! Its usually available in the autumn and is flavoured with orange peel, ginger and cinnamon. I will be looking out for this drink same time next year. 


Now the only other Bock style beer I recall drinking, well I recall opening the bottle anyway, was Eggenberg Samichlaus. Samichlaus means Santa Claus and it is brewed in Austria. This comes in at 14%, which I believe is the strongest beer I have ever had. Its called Santa Claus because it is brewed on St Nicholas Day ( December 6th) every year and stored for up to 10 months before being bottled and made available for the forthcoming Xmas celebrations. I got mine for my birthday some 8 years ago and the rest I'm afraid, is blank.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment