Friday 21 August 2015

THE MOO BAR IN CARLISLE


Mrs Ken and I visited Carlisle recently for a day out.  We did some touristy stuff first such as viewing a steam train in the station , and the inevitable retail therapy. This was all thirsty work so guess what ? - time for a pub. 

Since it opened last year I have always wanted to go to the Moo Bar in the city centre. Why ? Well because this bar opened at the end of 2014 with a blaze of publicity stating they would be selling 40 beers, 24 cask and 16 keg, as well has a large selection of bottled beers.

I was expecting a heaving mass of drinkers attracted to try so many beers, but no ! There were only two customers present when we walked into this converted shop, passing the barman having a fag in the doorway.
.
Being midweek, there were "only"  9 handpulls in use so ordered a pint of an American Wheat Beer from Ilkley Brewery , called Damn Good Threshing. Sipping this 5.1% , slightly cloudy beer, I realised it must be stronger than I thought. because from my seat I could only see 18 handpulls. Counted them twice, yep still only 18 ! I asked mine host about the other 6. "Oh we took them off earlier this year  as just not selling". This is despite the fact the Moo Bar  website, pub literature and CAMRA Whatpub all say 24. Hmmph !


Still 18 is still a good number to have , the most I believe I have ever seen in a bar.  

You are probably thinking Ive lost it now but another interesting feature are their nuts. I asked for some dry roasted and the barman pulled out from under the bar a large glass jar full of them and proceeded to pour a large pile into a cardboard container ( see photo of my nuts). Only £1, a bargain..

The odd punter wandered in during this ( it was  mid afternoon). There is no TV, gaming machines or piped music. Just a quiet pub.

So if you are Carlisle, call in, try the beers, count the handpulls and get some nuts.

When we parked the car I spotted  the old Carlisle Brewery , but that's another story.

TO BE CONTINUED.............

No comments:

Post a Comment